I’m currently looking for a position as a writer / journalist in the UK; please feel free to view my CV or email me at wsjudd at gmail dot com. I’m looking to take on more work as a copywriter, blogger and social media maven, so please email me if you’d like to pitch a project. You can also view a list of the publications I’ve written for or just have a look at my LinkedIn profile, which should be kept reasonably up-to-date.
Motivated and hard working self-employed writer and social media expert, with a passion for technology, gaming and hardware. I’m able to work well on my own as well as integrate into a team. I have high personal standards and strive to achieve them, with a continuous self-improvement mindset and enthusiasm towards applying my knowledge to new challenges. I communicate in a clear and concise manner with appropriate terminology, enabling me to present technical information to a wide range of audiences. I am passionate and personable.
Writer & Self-Facilitating Media Node for Mobile Fun, July 2011–Present.
I handle copywriting, blogging and social media in the Marketing department as a self-employed long term contractor at Mobile Fun, the UK’s leading online retailer of mobile phone accessories.
As the lead writer of the blog, I publish on a variety of topics, typically centering around mobile and tablet news, but also gaming, science and social media. My stories have been picked up by major websites including The Verge, Engadget, TIME, and the International Business Times.
Through giveaways, promotions and quality content, I’ve grown Mobile Fun’s social following from around 500 to nearly 10,000 each on Twitter and Facebook.
I serve as the marketing department’s go-to in-house graphic designer, creating promotional banners and other graphics. Finally, I produce successful YouTube videos and tutorials (the most popular of which has been viewed 270,000 times).
The Keyboard Company – August 2012 – Present.
I established a company blog, writing news, guides and reviews of mechanical keyboards and other specialty input devices. I also established the company’s social media presence, growing Twitter and Facebook followers from dozens to hundreds at minimal cost to the company. Finally, I take part in the wider community of keyboard enthusiasts, answering questions and promoting the Keyboard Company.
giffgaff – January 2012 – Present.
I serve as a technology expert and writer for giffgaff, a leading mobile network in the UK. I write weekly news articles on the latest in mobile technology, with information gleaned through my own experiences and the hundreds of articles I read daily. I also provide in-depth reviews of smartphones, tablets and accessories.
XSReviews – August 2011 – Present.
I am the new editor-in-chief and owner of XSReviews, after having written for the PC hardware & peripherals website for many years. I have written dozens of high-quality reviews, relying on a keen understanding of the PC hardware market and exhaustive testing of each new product. I specialise in mechanical keyboards and other peripherals.
UK StarCraft 2 Editor for Team Acer – May 2012 – Present.
I provide news posts, retrospectives and interviews for Team Acer, arguably the most successful StarCraft II pro-gaming team. These articles are turned around quickly, in order to make the most of the uniquely rapid attention of the pro-gaming fan community.
Writer for Team Dignitas – March 2012 – June 2012.
I provided strategy content, relying on expert knowledge of current trends in StarCraft II through careful study and experience casting ESL Go4SC2 weekly tournaments.
Administrator for GameReplays.org, March 2009 –June 2012.
I lead an editorial team at GameReplays.org, which publishes gaming news and tutorials. I wrote news stories, tutorials and reviews of games and computer hardware. I edited and published portal content. I maintained relationships with PR contacts to organise events and editorial coverage.
Campus Ambassador for Sun Microsystems, October 2008 – October 2009.
I represented Sun Microsystems, a Fortune 500 company, to students and staff at the University of Bristol. I lead a small team that held open-source creative programming events such as Hack Bristol.
Computer Science Masters Degree, 2:1, at University of Bristol, October 2007 – July 2011.
- New Enterprise Competition, Finalist
- IPL Group Prize, Best Third Year Games Project
- Computer Gaming Society, President
- Introduction to Computer Science
- Introduction to Software Engineering
- Introduction to Computer Architecture
- HiTech Enterprise
- Origins of Computer Science
- Discrete Mathematics for Comp’ Science I
- Discrete Mathematics for Comp’ Science II
- Continuous Mathematics for Comp’ Science
- Career Management Skills
- Software Product Engineering
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Symbols, Patterns and Signals
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Concurrency and Communications
- Language Engineering
- Group Games Project
- Web Technologies
- Character and Set Design
- Communication Studies
- Advanced Software Development
- Systems Integration
- German Level 1 Grade 1
- Individual Project: Implementation
- Individual Project: Business Plan
- Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing
- Information Security
- Object Oriented Programming with Java
- German Level 1 Grade 2
A Levels at Richmond School, September 2006–July 2007.
- Grade A in Mathematics
- Grade B in Computing
High School Diploma at the Academy for Technology and the Classics, USA, September 2000–June 2006.
- GPA of 3.72/4.00
- President of the Student Body
- University of New Mexico Scholarship Award
- Santa Fe Institute Prize for Scientific Excellence
- ACT (college admissions test), Reading 34/36, Writing 12/12, overall top 4% nationally
- SAT (college admissions test), Reading 770/800, overall top 5% nationally
- Highly organised, detail-orientated journalist and editor, capable of producing timely, solid copy.
- Proficient with a wide range of software, including Office, iLife, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Premiere and InDesign, and can learn new software quickly. Work daily on Windows, Mac, and Linux machines.
- Familiar with a wide range of peripherals, smartphones, tablets, laptops, and computer hardware.
- Photography, web design & film: As a member of an amateur film studio, have written, edited and appeared in several short films. Have worked as a photographer and web designer for a local band.
- Competitive team-based videogames: Member of several successful teams for FPS and strategy games.