I’m currently looking for a position as a writer / journalist in the UK; please feel free to view my CV or email me at wsjudd at gmail dot com. I’m also looking to take on more work as a copywriter, blogger and social media person, so please email me if you’d like to pitch a project. You can also view a list of the publications I’ve written for.
Motivated and hard working Computer Science graduate with a passion for journalism and game development, able to work well on my own as well as integrate into a team. I have high personal standards and strive to achieve them, with a continuous self-improvement mindset and enthusiasm towards applying my knowledge to new challenges. I communicate in a clear and concise manner with appropriate terminology, enabling me to present technical information to a wide range of audiences. I am passionate and personable.
Writer & Self-Facilitating Media Node for Mobile Fun, July 2011–Present.
Handle copywriting, blogging and social media in the Marketing department as a self-employed long term contractor at Mobile Fun, the UK’s leading online retailer of mobile phone accessories. Write on a variety of topics, typically centring around mobile and tablet news, but also gaming, science and social media. Run the Mobile Fun blog and its associated social media, e.g. Twitter, Facebook and Google Plus. Provide guest blogs for over 35 other websites. Also provide graphics, video and web design on occasion. My work has been picked up by major websites including The Verge, Engadget, TIME, International Business Times, etc.
UK StarCraft 2 Editor for Team Acer – May 2012 – Present.
Writer for Team Dignitas – March 2012 – Present.
Provide news posts, strategy content and other articles for two premier pro-gaming team websites, focusing on StarCraft II.
Caster for Gamer Powered – May 2012 – Present.
Cast ESL’s Go4SC2 weekly tournament, providing commentary and the primary stream.
Administrator for GameReplays.org, March 2009–Present.
Lead an editorial team at GameReplays.org, which publishes gaming news and tutorials. Write news stories, tutorials and reviews of games and computer hardware. Edit and publish portal content. Maintain relationships with PR contacts to organise events and editorial coverage.
Campus Ambassador for Sun Microsystems, October 2008–October 2009.
Represented Sun Microsystems, a Fortune 500 company, to students and staff at the University of Bristol. Lead small team that held open-source creative programming events such as Hack Bristol.
Computer Science Masters Degree, 2:1, at University of Bristol, October 2007–July 2011.
- New Enterprise Competition, Finalist
- IPL Group Prize, Best Third Year Games Project
- Computer Gaming Society, President
- Introduction to Computer Science
- Introduction to Software Engineering
- Introduction to Computer Architecture
- HiTech Enterprise
- Origins of Computer Science
- Discrete Mathematics for Comp’ Science I
- Discrete Mathematics for Comp’ Science II
- Continuous Mathematics for Comp’ Science
- Career Management Skills
- Software Product Engineering
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Symbols, Patterns and Signals
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Concurrency and Communications
- Language Engineering[/one_half]
- Group Games Project
- Web Technologies
- Character and Set Design
- Communication Studies
- Advanced Software Development
- Systems Integration
- German Level 1 Grade 1
- Individual Project: Implementation
- Individual Project: Business Plan
- Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing
- Information Security
- Object Oriented Programming with Java
- German Level 1 Grade 2[/one_half_last]
A Levels at Richmond School, September 2006–July 2007.
- Grade A in Mathematics
- Grade B in Computing
High School Diploma at the Academy for Technology and the Classics, USA, September 2000–June 2006.
- GPA of 3.72/4.00
- President of the Student Body
- University of New Mexico Scholarship Award
- Santa Fe Institute Prize for Scientific Excellence
- ACT (college admissions test), Reading 34/36, Writing 12/12, overall top 4% nationally
- SAT (college admissions test), Reading 770/800, overall top 5% nationally
- Highly organised, detail-orientated journalist and editor, capable of producing timely, solid copy. Write weekly articles for my professional blog, WilliamJudd.com, as well as giffgaff and others.
- Proficient with a wide range of software, including Office, iLife, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Premiere and InDesign, and can learn new software quickly. Work daily on Windows, Mac, and Linux machines.
- Familiar with a wide range of peripherals, smartphones, tablets, laptops, and computer hardware.
- Photography, web design & film: As a member of an amateur film studio, have written, edited and appeared in several short films. Have worked as a photographer and web designer for a local band.
- Competitive team-based videogames: Member of several successful teams for FPS and strategy games.